BruceM

Yeah.......... wear a parachute as well as a life jacket.
That way you won't get killed when you hit the water...........

"Hans-Joachim Sellner" wrote in message
Hans-Joachim Sellner schrieb:
Hallo!
I would like to get some advice concerning gasoline-tank-installation in
a motor boat:
After completing the repowering of my boat with a dual-caburated motor I
looked for a reliable position for the fule tank, previously installed in
the bow by the manufacturer. Because there was enough volume near the
center of buoyancy, I decided to place the tank there, tightly screwed
and taped on the extensions of the motor-stringers. Although this
position might be physically the best one, fuel-lines could be held quite
short and servicing is easy, I've some strange feeling: The tank is in
direct neighbourhood in line to the engine, there are at least 5 inches
between them, no separating wall or plate made of epoxied plywood or alu,
steel, ... is installed. Now my question:
Are there any rules or regulations (coast guard) prohibiting the
installation of a fuel-tank in nearly the same compartment with the
engine?
By the way: Of course the tank is connected to motor-ground as well as
the copper-lines and the water-separator are grounded to the tank. A
correctly dimensioned blower to suck gasoline-fumes is installed.

What do you think, anything left I've to work on? Any advice will be
appreciated!

Bye, Hajo

Many thanks for your discussion! I'll try to fix the fuel-tank a little
bit closer to the bow, so the distance between tank an engine will be
about 1 feet. Perhaps it's better to get this space, I don't know. By the
way the tank is made of steel and painted. It will really be well fixed,
so it cannot move around. But once again, what's your feeling: Any
problems to expect with my "same compartment topology" (engine+tank
nearby, no wall or anything else between them)?
Thanks and bye, Hajo