Dave wrote:

Sure glad I didn't follow this advice this spring. Asked Minneford's to
replace the muffler and adjust the stuffing box, as I wouldn't have time for
the stuffing box before leaving on Sat. Fortunately, I didn't trust them and
came an extra couple of hours early. Muffler replaced, nothing done to the
stuffing box, and no mechanic in sight.

Rather typical - multi-tasked yard timing is not owner timing & often
such an item is done in the last hour.

I adjusted the stuffing box myself.

Relieving them of responsbility for any results.

I'm curious what the bill will say.

You didn't sight it before leaving? Delay is a bad idea - their memory
gets "creative." I'd be more concerned with this business practice
than the minor inconvenience of twisting a couple of nuts or installing
another packing ring, unless you own preferred stock in Minneford's.
:-)