Kees Verruijt

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:
My main objection is selection accuracy. If the software is built with
touch screen in mind so the select areas are big enough it would be OK but
it is very hard to hit the right normal sized drop down or radio button
with a finger. Setting a waypoint accurately without over zooming is darned
near impossible. I couldn't imagine picking a menu item on Visual Suite or
MaxSea in any kind of a swell.

[snip]

Indeed
developed with the touchscreens in mind. Operation Nobeltec was next to
impossible.

Which is why Nobeltec suggests you use Admiral with a touchscreen; the
bigger sister (brother?) to VNS which has a special touchscreen mode
(called Navview).

Btw, what also works is using your fingernail, and using a smaller
screen which allows you to stabilize position by keeping one or two
fingers steadied on the side of the screen. Hey, you might even "shape"
a fingernail in a more pointy fashion grin/.

I found that using it this way I could also use the normal mode of
operation in Admiral (called Planview) quite succesfully...

As my sailing boat is quite a lot smaller than 98' :-) I use a portable
touchscreen made by Panasonic. Touchscreen-wise this is excellent; we
were doused with north sea water this year but no issues with the
screen. Viewability in direct sunlight is so so, but as it's portable
you can move it around until you get a good view (some angles are quite
good in sunlight, others are a total washout).

On our summer trip this year it was really good to be able to sit in the
cockpit and navigate waters that were new to us. Especially the south
coast of Norway which is quite frightening when you're new to it (lots
of rocks instead of the sand and mud that my crew and myself are used to).

--
Kees