Meindert Sprang

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:E9eDe.172616$sy6.33959@lakeread04...
I suppose they can be made with different sensitivities but my resistive
display a water resistant ELO. Besides their own displays ELO supplies
touch screen overlays and modules for a lot of display makers. It doesn't
seem to be effected by water drops the way the capacitive one is but if I

am
within 18" of it and sneeze it is the same as randomly hitting the left
mouse button. A steady overall even wind pressure may not do it.

These screens were certainly not that sensitive, as I remember.

My main objection is selection accuracy. If the software is built with
touch screen in mind so the select areas are big enough it would be OK but
it is very hard to hit the right normal sized drop down or radio button

with
a finger. Setting a waypoint accurately without over zooming is darned

near
impossible. I couldn't imagine picking a menu item on Visual Suite or
MaxSea in any kind of a swell.

That I agree with you. I've been sitting behind 5 of those screens on the
bridge of a 98 footer for 4 weeks (in an expensive Recaro chair, very nice
development environment :-) ), programming in Kylix on Linux. It was indeed
tricky to hit a menu on the spot. But the main functions of these screens
were to display (engine-) control systems with large buttons. Indeed
developed with the touchscreens in mind. Operation Nobeltec was next to
impossible.

Meindert