Jack Erbes

Capt John wrote:

Kees,
A transflector is a transmissive reflector that is mounted on the back
of an LCD and it can work in two modes.

In the reflective mode light that passes through the front of the LCD
is reflected back out, allowing you to read the display. In the
transmissive mode it allows light from a back light, mounted behind the
LCD, to pass through it and out the LCD, so you can read the display.
If the transflector did not allow light to pass through it from the
back side you would not be able to use a back light, as the light would
never be able to pass through it and out the LCD. Every PDA uses a
transflector like this, and most have a back light that can be turned
on in low light applications.

Thanks for the great explanation on something that has had me confused
for a while. I have a Palm Tungsten T3 that has a backlight. It works
very well indoors. As soon as I take it outside it into daylight it
darkens up and becomes pretty much useless. With direct sunlight, you
can't even tell that it is turned on. That must be a different kind of
display. What is that called? I am told that it does not have a light
sensor that turns off the backlight in daylight.

It is a brilliant, sharp, display but disappointing for daylight use.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)