Doug Kanter

Default OT - Are we safer? Go figure....

"John H" wrote in message

Some things I've learned:

Most 8th graders, even the *smart* ones taking algebra early, won't
read the book. They need to learn that doing so has benefits.

In my school we have late bus days. Teachers are expected to be there
until the late buses leave. That's an extra 35-45 minutes after the
last class. There are two or three late bus days every week. If a
parent were to call the principal to complain about the lack of after
school help, the help would quickly become available. This assumes
that the teacher really *isn't* busy after school. Some teachers are
also coaches, for example, and really aren't available.

Not all teachers are as dedicated as they could be. Some of them are
sick of fighting a system in which they are at fault for every failure
and parents have no responsibilities whatever in the educational
process.

Glad things worked out for your son. If he has an algebra question
tell him to post it here. I'll help him.

John H

Good point about teachers sick of the system. But, I'm an old-fashioned guy.
I think parents are part of the system. Parents who don't participate in
their kids' education should be ground up and used as chum. In the first
week of each new school year, I make sure I've spoken to all his teachers,
to let them know that I'm there. Or here. Or whatever.

What's interesting is trying to figure out why my son does well in school.
We discussed this a few weeks ago, along with a couple of thugs he had over
for dinner. The consensus was "I dunno....got any more root beer?".
Seriously, his crew doesn't compete with one another. And, the parents don't
nag. They seem to think it's a matter of "If you're smart to begin with, why
waste it?" Or, as my son likes to say, "Who wants to be dumb? You could end
up being the president."