John H.

On 16 Jul 2005 15:28:37 -0700, wrote:

Hi John!

Thanks for the prompt, timely reply and the info ... sounds like you
know a thing or two about mercruiser drives

You're welcome, but I'm no expert. I let the mechanics do the work.

I hope to be launching from somewhere close to Easton, MD over here
right across the bay from you.

Is the outdrive impeller somewhere that is easy enough to reach that i
can change it without having to break down the outdrive or remove it
tothe point where re-alignment and a hoist will be required?

I let the mechanics change the impeller. The impeller is located in the lower
unit (gear housing assembly) of the outdrive.

Also, (if you don't mind) any hints about anything special that i
should do as far as getting this fresh water baby into the salt water?
I saw some sort of ?chemical? washes that can be run through the drive
system that will counteract or de-activate the salts ... but that
sounds like a winterization thing rather than an after every use thing.

I just rinse mine out with fresh water every time I use the boat. I use the
muffs that connect to a hose and flush it for about 4 minutes each time.

It seems odd to me, but i can;t seem to find any filtration for water
intake - is that really true?

There is no water filter that I know of. That's why I try to keep the lower unit
out of the sand and mud.

I've been out washing her up for the past couple hours and was
pleasantly surprised to have a reply so soon, so thatnks again!

best regards

Here is a site which might be useful for looking at how your sterndrive is put
together.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...sp?type_id=DRA

--
John H.