Rusty

Hardware store dimmers only work on AC power, not DC. They use a solid-state
device called a Triac, not a variable resistor.

Blue Sea makes dimmer units in several different amp ranges for 12 and 24
volt DC systems specifically for this type of application. They also sell a
switch to control it already labeled "Bright" and "Dim". These are available
through West Marine and several other distributors. I have one installed in
my custom engine instrument panel and it works like a champ.

Rusty O

"William Andersen" wrote in message
Anyone know what I need to buy to add a dimmer to my instrument lights?
I want to be able to control the intensity of my instrument lights. They
are not shielded and reflect on the windshield, making it impossible to
sit and look through the windshield. We have to stand while at the wheel
at night. I've changed to red light bulbs, but the instrument panel is
tilted so much there's no way to shield the windshield from the reflected
light.
I went to a Radio Shack today and all they could come up with was to offer
a volume control knob mounted on a wall switch plate. Since I'm not a
techie, I need to know exactly what to ask for, since they seem to know
even less than me.