Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Johnhh wrote:
Why would you say smart for going with the current when the current was
taking her across the straights? I was wondering about that. I always
thought in cold water situations that unless the shore was easily reachable,
it was better not to swim because you loose much more heat when swimming
than with your limbs tucked in. If she hadn't swam, she may have remained
in the search area and been rescued earlier.

Definitely very lucky and she definitely screwed up, but I'm not sure I
would call her foolish.

Well, you're right.. not swimming is better, but going with the
current is better than fighting it.

Foolish because one should not fall of a boat at night, while alone on
deck especially. Why wasn't she hooked on? She should have been. I
guess I could have said not too bright, or very inexperienced. I would
also blame the person in charge of the boat for poor instructions
and/or safety measures.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com