Johnhh

Why would you say smart for going with the current when the current was
taking her across the straights? I was wondering about that. I always
thought in cold water situations that unless the shore was easily reachable,
it was better not to swim because you loose much more heat when swimming
than with your limbs tucked in. If she hadn't swam, she may have remained
in the search area and been rescued earlier.

Definitely very lucky and she definitely screwed up, but I'm not sure I
would call her foolish.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Johnhh wrote:
A pretty amazing survival story for those who know how cold the water is
here in the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ational/Canada

Foolish for falling off in the first place, smart for going with the
current, lucky for surviving.

I wonder if there is a measurable difference between men and women, as
far as cold water immersion and survival time goes. I vaguely that
women have an extra layer of fat, although this is not something I
would bring up when hitting on a woman. :-)

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com