Larry

Default ENGINE OVERHEAT

On 4 Aug 2003 10:39:06 -0700, (Coff) wrote:

Questions:

1. Any idea on the cause? Did we pick up a plastic bag or such?

Sucked up something that blocked the intake, like the plastic bag,
which fell away when you shut it down. Go find out why the big
honking warning horn either isn't working or isn't installed! You
should have got a big BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP before that guage
got that high! If there isn't one....INSTALL IT!

2. What can I do to verify the engine didn't receive any permanent
damage?

Compression test on all cylinders. Watch cylinder banks for signs of
leakage outside, in the oil and in the closed circuit cooling if you
got it....indicating warped heads.

3. Any tests I (we) can run to insure the engine's integrity?

Got a good mechanic? Let him look it over.

4. Can an impeller just quit working & then start again?

Hmm....don't see how. I like the temporary blockage theory much
better. When impellers fail, they fail hard and for good.

You COULD have had a stuck thermostat. I'd change it anyways after
it's been to 260F!.....wow!

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"