DSK

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Davey, the fact is that there is no material difference between
sailing under a masthead rig or a fractional rig on main alone. I have
not observed any difference in balance, and I've sailed on both kinds
of boats many, many times. The only thing that's disingenous is your
claim of understanding of the situation when you have no
understanding.

Well, don't be too hard on him, he's working an angle to drag politics
into this thread too.

While there is a theoretical difference in the way the two rigs balance
under main alone, a competent designer makes the boat's underbody suit
the rig he puts on it, whether it be MH or frac.

The biggest difference I can think of is that the main on the frac rig
will be more responsive to backstay adjustment. On some boats, it's
almost like a first reef.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King