NOYB

"HarryKrause" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:58:05 -0400, thunder
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:50:13 +0000, NOYB wrote:

Next thing you know, they'll be in Chesapeake Bay. Just think...slow
speed zone outside of any marked channel...and slow speed zone within
1/2
mile of shore.

It's commmmmming!
At least one has been to the Chesapeake, and New Jersey, for that
matter:

http://whale.wheelock.edu/archives/whalenet95/0180.html

How about they just eliminate them from the ecosystem and be done with
it?

I've arranged for one to move into your bathtub. Sorry.

It's funny how politics and boating are so much intertwined. A
Clinton-appointee (Judge Emmett Sullivan) threatened to hold Sec. of
Interior Gale Norton in contempt 3 years ago for not implementing the
manatee zones. At the time, Jeb was strongly opposed to the
behind-closed-doors settlement between SMC and FWC that had the Feds
meddling in our state waters. He and Sec. Norton argued that it was junk
science supporting the implementation of the zones. The manatee population
has been growing steadily and the numbers suggest that they shouldn't even
be on the endangered species list any longer.

There's a strong battle between the feds and state right now. The Feds said
"implement the zones or we'll hold up dock permits", and the state said
"fine, we'll implement the zones...but you guys are responsible for policing
them". Of course, this puts FWC in an impossible position because they
don't have the manpower.