frank1492

Sounds like that would take a bit of practice to master, but
we will try it. Also, I would think the height of the platform
relative to the lip of the cockpit might be fairly critical, no?

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:25:06 -0400, Ted Marz wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:10:36 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

I have a 22' Grady White and have recently purchased two Heritage
kayaks. These fit nicely aboard the Grady. My intention is to bring
the kayaks along on day trips for use when the Grady is anchored.
I am looking for some device to stabilize the kayaks when they
are alongside the Grady and one wants to embark or disembark. I
find it extremely difficult to enter/exit the kayaks because it
requires standing.
I can envision some sort of bracket that can be hooked over
the side of the Grady to which a kayak could be temporarily
fastened to stablilize it when boarding. If no such device exists,
I plan to try to fashion one out of an ordinary boarding ladder.
Does anyone know of any device that is specifically designed
for this purpose?
Thanks for your help!
Frank

Yes, a swim platform and a paddle

drop the kayak in parallel to the swim platform, and place your paddle
across the back of the cockpit, with one blade across the swim
platform. Grip the paddle shaft and the back of the cockpit coaming
with one hand, and then sit on the paddle shaft. Scootch yourself
over the boat, bringing your legs into the cockpit first, and taking
some weight on the paddle shaft. Once you are all the way in, paddle
off.

Getting off is just about exactly the reverse.

good luck.

Ted