Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't see jets as a good general purpose option for a boat. Some of
the problems mentioned above are fuel economy and dependability.
Jets in boats are either a novelty or a performance choice. I've got
a jetski that's a blast, but a jet in them is the only choice that I
know
of, and I've got two friends with jet boats that are pure, adrenalin-
driven excitement.

Michael

The 2 stroke jet boats are not for the fuel conscious. And for those prices
you are looking at a small boat. For 6 people you will need at least a 20'
boat. I run a 21' aluminum jet boat, 3400#. 1991 and get about 85% the
efficiency of a prop boat. With a 351W Ford engine I got about 2 mpg as an
average. Just changed to a 350 mpi engine, and I think the fuel mileage is
better. We fish, ski and tube with the boat and also run it in shallow
rivers. If just in a lake setting where you are not needing the shallow
water / durability of a jet drive go prop. Dependability is better for a 4
stroke jet drive than a prop. Lots less moving parts, and no drive
direction changes. Just do not run the drive without water. Takes out the
rubber cutlass bearings and the front pump seal. www.riverjetmagazine.com
will give you some points on the aluminum boats.