Jeff M.

Default Big Block Oil Consumption

New to boating-bought a '94 Baja 24 Outlaw with a new Mercruiser 7.4 Magnum
EFI long block. It has straight exhaust and Bravo One out drive.

Boat runs perfect except for engine oil consumption. We have gone through
6+ quarts of Quicksilver 25W-40 in the first 20 hours. I have been very
careful to follow Merc's break-in quide: no long periods of idle, no
full-throttle starts. Every two-three hours, the dipstick reads a quart
low.

Now with 32 hours, a shop did a leak-down check. Four cylinders 10% which
is spec., three were about 25% and one was about 40%.

What do you recommend? What is normal oil consumption? Found about 1/2
quart in the bilge. The shop that installed the long block used an
aftermarket block with all Merc parts (crank, bearings, rings, pistons, cam
etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Jeff