Billgran

"r_d" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all,

I converted the point's ignition to a petronix electronic system with the
diode/resistor patch for the shift interrupt.
(1) When I hit the drive trim it kills the engine (a Chevy 350).?. I
cannot figure out how the systems are connected, the mechanic thinks the
trim pump is pulling too much power and starving the coil but it has two
batteries and with they engine running the volt meter shows about 12 volts
with the pump running. The mechanic thinks these problems are all
associated with the petronix system (they have no help line) and not with
the carb. I have checked all the wiring, the resistor wire that feeds the
coil is within specs and I cannot find fault anywhere in the electrical
system. The timing (using a timing light is rock steady and set
correctly). It has fresh fuel and I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel
lines, fuel filters, plugs, coil, wires, rotor and distributor cap. My
vote is for a problem carb but I do remember somebody saying they had an
issue with this petronix system and their mechanic added a resistor but it
already has the proper amount of resistance in the system.?.

When installing an electronic ignition, you remove the resistor wire as the
new module runs at 12volts all the time. That may also be part of your
problem as most electronic modules go "off line" at 9.5 volts or lower.

RFI interference from the trim motor can also affect the ignition module,
either thru the air or thru the boat wiring.

Bill Grannis
service manager