Meindert Sprang

"Dave M" wrote in message
news
Meindert --

I generally agree with your statement regarding shields.

The question I have, though, is as follows

Given that the ground for an SSB antenna carries a lot of RF current, and
given that all grounds end up tied together at some point aboard a vessel,
by leaving the shields ungrounded at one end, isn't there a risk of

creating
a parasitic antenna out of your signal shields.

As long as the indiviual runs of cable are shorter than 1/10 wavelength,
they don't have any influence.
You can break longer runs from an RF point of view by placing toroid cores
every 1/10 wavelength and turn the cable a few times through these toroids.
In such a case, grounding the shield at both ends is better, but should be
done through a capacitor, to prevent any DC of low frequency currents from
floating through the shield. The basic idea is that you prevent any current
from flowing through the shield.

Meindert