Jere Lull

In article . net,
otnmbrd wrote:

Jere Lull wrote:
In article .net,
otnmbrd wrote:

Some have a tendency to leave an engine in gear through an entire
portion of a maneuver .... or, in short, too long.

This is SO true. Pour on a fair amount of power, then hit neutral. That
seems to back us with little walk, then without the prop spinning, we
can turn wherever we want.

When coming port side to, if I want to pull the stern in, I back at just
above idle. If I want to stop without walk, I give it that "fair amount"
of power.

Take the boat out and try various power settings near something you
don't mind hitting. I think you'll be surprised.

"Pour on a fair amount of power", is going to depend on your set-up and
situation.
For some, using less power sooner may be the trick, as I generally find
that less power, less propwalk, but each condition can and will vary.

otn

Full agreement, which is why I stated it nebulously and suggested trying
it some place soft with that particular boat. In our case, we accelerate
to a knot or two in a half boat length, which is pretty hefty power in
reverse.

Each boat differs, but the basic idea of no prop walk if the prop's not
spinning is a constant.

--
Jere Lull