Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Dave M" wrote:

Meindert --

I generally agree with your statement regarding shields.

The question I have, though, is as follows

Given that the ground for an SSB antenna carries a lot of RF current, and
given that all grounds end up tied together at some point aboard a vessel,
by leaving the shields ungrounded at one end, isn't there a risk of creating
a parasitic antenna out of your signal shields.

I have heard reports (not my experience) of the AC safety grounds being
capacitively tied back to ground at their other end to avoid this problem.

I would think this would only be a problem where the cable approximated a
quarter wavelength - which might explain why I have only heard this problem
reported on AC grounds, which could grow to be pretty long.

Has anyone else in the group experienced such a problem, and if so, what did
they do to correct it?

Dave Morschhauser

RF Grounds should NEVER be used as DC Grounds.
RF Grounds should ALWAYS be as short as possible.
RF Grounds are not all created equal, and never will be as good
as you want, or think they should be.
Ground is not Ground, the world around....RF Grounds are different
than other Grounds, and should not be confused with these other
Grounds.

Bruce in alaska more explainations, require more serious study....
--
add a 2 before @