Default Make GRP panels for canoe

Hi all,

I'm interested in building a canadian canoe for myself and my daughter
to use. I have already built a small rowing boat using stitch and glue
many years ago, but want to try something different.

What I was thinking is to pre-make flat GRP panels (gelcoated on one
side) and then build the canoe in a stitch and glue type method with
these.

I'd probably use polyester resin for the panels and tape together using
epoxy. This is to help reduce the cost as I've not found epoxy resin to
be all that cheap in the UK.

So, with this in mind, how many layers of matt would be needed for the
panel. Too many and it won't easily bend and I guess too few would
leave it weak. Also, how do you determine the quantity of resin needed
based on the sq.ft of the project?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Mark