Mr Wizzard

"William Andersen" wrote in message
news:dHxye.3791$HV1.1703@fed1read07...
I agree that running the engine without cooling water for a brief time

isn't
fatal to the engine...but it could ruin the plastic/nylon impeller.

In "60" seconds too I might add. Go read any Clymer, Force,
Chrysler etc manual - they all have photos in 15-second intervals
of what happens to the impeller with no water. 60 Seconds, its toast.
(his clunk is probably the impeller itself getting all chewed up) hehe.

"Proxy" wrote in message
It is simpler then you could imagine. Outdrive was out (Alpha One). Went
the mechanic, he used the alignment tool greased all and still could not
get
the drive inside (went in until last half inch and then stop, huge pain.
Checked alignment several time is my presence , suspected misaligned
engine
but the tool was showing +/-OK. He said yoke is not right (wrong)

although
that was running OK as to the previous owner (bought with the outdrive
out).
Gave my money back after a fight, he has torn 4 outdrive gaskets and was
in
killing mode (he spent 4 hrs). I went to my friend , he runs marine
services, he checked alignment, said "tight" but unlike the other guy
managed to install the drive in 20 min. Interestingly when the drive was
almost fully in (5-10 mm to go) the was a loud clunk, like the engine -
drive combo got in place but that was "unusual" according to him yet he
still proceeded, tightened the screws. Job done.
Subsequently I did some engine work, wanted to test it and ran the

engine
dry for 10 sec. - clunk, stopped, all seemed OK, checked the engine, no
issues, tried again 10 sec. same, stopped tried again more like 20 sec.
the
clunk was loud like a wrench inside a metal pipe rattling and hitting
sided
while rotating. Last try I ran the engine at fast idle (all was done on

trailer, no water.). Then I saw a small blue cloud and felt.rubber

smell.
thought coupler, plus u-joint rattle due to misalignment (previous owner
could have manipulated it (not me). My thinking was: replace the

coupler,
align the stuff install the drive and check then for further signs.
2 mechanics fu..ed up even though I told them both to align the engine

if
suspected. bad. Both said "we can handle it". Now I HAVE TO FIX THE

MESS:
think that has prolly contributed to this was the outdrive in up

position
(but prop was not moving) so not in gear. Rear engine mounts look OK. I
know
I need to check all but coupler is tough as the only to conclusively

test
it would
be on the water (for slippage). That would req. installing all back in,
launching, and then going back home to start dismantling again, kind of
stupid, don't u think?

As to running dry, no big deal, I have fixed more then a few seized
engines
(running fine) so I know where the limits are. Water or no water, block
temp
is to low to cause and damage except for impeller that I have written

off
anyway for this experiment. Within 1 min. the engine won't reach any

temp
that may be considered even close to dangerous. Same applies to cars.

All
need is lubrication and oil in the crankcase. Done it several times and
never seen any issue whatsoever even after a long time after that (2
years).
To me it seems logical and according to laws of physics. U need water to
cool hot/warm engine not the cold one. Just few remarks, nothing

personal.
After all this is a hobby for me, I'm not a pro, just happen to know few
things (except as described, to say the least).
Thanks.