rhys

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:39:21 -0500, Geoff Schultz

The bottom line is that something is wrong with this report. Perhaps
this happened, but I suspect that this is far from the full and correct
story.

-- Geoff

Thanks for your comments and knowledge about this country. I have
heard good things about Belize and Costa Rica, middling things about
Honduras and horrible things about Guatamala. My impression is that
Belize is (for the area) a quite poor but not overly corrupt place
that is trying to capture a bigger share of the scanty cruiser/tourism
market, and this report of vulture-like behaviour is disturbing.

Let's hope a fuller story emerges. In my book, one of the worst things
you can do is to deny aid to a seaman in distress. Personally, I have
no problem condemning an entire country based on the actions of a few
of its citizens: there are pleasant and law-abiding places to go
aplenty still, and life is too short to worry overmuch about getting
robbed on a reef because officialdom is too corrupt to do their duty.

R.