Brian Whatcott

On 4 Jul 2005 11:38:32 -0700, wrote:

I have an old 18' Grumman aluminum canoe that I grew up with canoeing
most of the rivers in FL. It has enough room to carry 4 people or to
carry camping equipment for 2. It seems like it might be possible to
design a good sailing rig for it. Maybe use a lateen rig, outriggers,
retractable leeboards instead of a dagger board, design a good rudder.
It might be the ideal rig to explore the local shallow salt water. Any
thoughts on this?

Having rolled a 15 ft aluminum canoe with three adults and a five year
old aboard (which was evidently overloaded in a brisk lake chop) two
weeks ago, I am unenthusiastic. The canoe hull form is not
well-suited to the sideways moment of a sail. Still it can be done,
and has been done.
Percy Blandford showed sail designs for his canvas and wood kayaks
certainly. The plans are still to be had from a NY supplier.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK