I do have an APS catalogue and have ordered parts from them but I
cannot find anyplace that specifies what size line to use for various
things. This Laser is so old that it is somewhat different from newer
ones as shown in the catalogues. For example, the new gudgeons did not
fit so I had to fill the old screw holes and make new ones, the deck
access plate was an entirely different size, etc.

There also seems to be a lot of slop in the mast step. Is this
correct? APS does have some material to take up some slop but the mast
step on this old boat actually seems to be slightly oval with long axis
along the boat axis so the mast can tilt forward or back. This could
radically affect sail trim.

What really strikes me is that my strengthened MiniCups are probably
better built than this old Laser. On the Laser, they simply use screws
into the underlying wood to hold fittings instead of using backing
nuts. How often do these fail?