Conor O'Neill

Charlie wrote:
"Conor O'Neill" wrote in message
. uk...

The river is grade 1 & 2. The only nasties are the weirs. About 10 of
them if I remember. You probably can portage them, but there's not
really much point because they're the fun bit! The rest of the race is a
long slog! (17 miles)

How nasty is nasty? I ran Chapel Falls (just) last weekend at Tryweryn and
the lower section of Tryweryn, so that would give you an idea of where I am.
I'm a relative newbie, started paddling at the end of last summer but took
2/3 months off due to broken toe, so I've not been doing it long!

Charlie.

I've been away - now I can reply.

If you can paddle Chapel Falls, then the weirs on the Liffey will be
fine. The weirs are (if I remember) mostly large sloping affairs, some
with some irregular structure, and there are a couple of large V-shaped
weirs towards the end. People fall out on all of them, and there are
divers who help you get to the bank (but they tend not to pick up your
boat and/or paddles for you!). I'd never advise swimming down a weir
voluntarily, but these are probably about as safe as you'd get.

--
Conor O'Neill, at home in Bristol, UK