Marty

Default "Darwin" award nominations for 4th of July weekend.

If the word dumbass comes to mind when thinking of something someone did on
the water this 4th of July weekend, they would probably fit the bill for a
4th of July "Darwin" award nomination. It's ok to nominate yourself if
you're strong enough to tell us what you did.

I've got two that come to mind so far (and the weekend is young). The
first, both while I'm towing my kids: 3 20-something males on one waverunner
(a pwc of some kind) come flying by on the diagonal moving from my stern
port quarter across my bow to my starboard side, except they stopped dead in
front of me for God knows what reason; I truly enjoyed the look on the
passenger's faces when they realized how close we were when they stopped!

The second event was the family boat towing little kids who also decided to
get to my right side by passing in front of me; at least they didn't stop in
front of me, but dangling those little kids out there like bait, you gotta
wonder. I had to make a small adjustment to port with reduced speed to
avoid their kids. I'm just real glad I wasn't screwing around with my soda
or the radio or answering a question with a turn of my head.

Ok, then there's my dumbass move: shutting down at the last second on the
approach to a no wake zone. Did I draw attention to myself? Youbetcha!
The Sherrif was on me in a flash for an impromptu inspection. Technically
it would have been a stretch to write me up and he didn't. He used me as a
teaching moment for his crew. We stopped at the on-the-water bathroom
before we left the no-wake zone and couldn't figure out why the Sherrif was
waiting for us to leave; turns out they needed the head and were just
waiting their turn! If we'd known that, we'd of stayed longer (just kidding
again).

Marty