Capt. JG

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I think the key is to have the boat moving slightly before using the
spring. If you don't have it moving, you may not have enough engine to
move it while firmly attached.

Ah ha! There is the nugget of wisdom I was hoping to get out of this
post. She certainly would have turned if I had used the considerable
inertia of a boat with a 3/4" glass hull instead of trying to accellerate
it.

Here's what I'll try:

2 -3 feet of slack in the spring to the aft cleat I can reach from the
helm. Rudder full over.
Back until spring is tight and cut power.
Let the boat swing. Add power if necessary.
Cast off spring at the right angle and start backing.
Cut power as boat comes straight in slip.
Use short reverse applications just sufficient to keep sternway on.

I've been accused of giving people worse things.. :-)