Capt. JG

"Nigel" wrote in message

I have a Bruce Roberts 53ft with a long fin keel, 25 ton displacement, 3
blade fixed prop and an 80hp engine. I find that if I use short bursts of
astern (rather than continuous) The rudder has a bigger say in the
proceedings and I suffer much less prop walk. Once she is moving astern,
the prop is maintaining boat speed and no longer trying to accelerate, it
almost feel like I have control

Yes, I've seen this in all the boats I've sailed. I saw a guy use this
technique on a 61ft steel sloop to basically park between two other larger
boats with inches to spare. It was quite impressive.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com