Jeff

Roger Long wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I think the key is to have the boat moving slightly before using the
spring. If you don't have it moving, you may not have enough engine
to move it while firmly attached.

Ah ha! There is the nugget of wisdom I was hoping to get out of this
post. She certainly would have turned if I had used the considerable
inertia of a boat with a 3/4" glass hull instead of trying to
accellerate it.

Here's what I'll try:

2 -3 feet of slack in the spring to the aft cleat I can reach from the
helm. Rudder full over.
Back until spring is tight and cut power.
Let the boat swing. Add power if necessary.
Cast off spring at the right angle and start backing.
Cut power as boat comes straight in slip.
Use short reverse applications just sufficient to keep sternway on.

In the same vein - a boat that stayed next to ours needed to spin 180
to get out. They kept a line tied to the end of the dock and cleated
to a stern cleat. There was enough slack so that when backed out of
its slip it would snub the stern and pull it to that side. It would
then do a sharp 90 turn in reverse. At that point they would drop the
line and continue in forward. The line would sink, unless some nice
bystander (like me) would haul it up. It was a very elegant maneuver,
especially if you didn't notice the line.