Gudmundur

In article ,
says...

Any pair of gears, helical, spur, miter etc. will rotate in opposite
directions. You cannot change the direction of rotation by changing the
hand of the helix. Additionally, on intersecting shaft applications only
helical gears of the same hand will mesh. The only consideration when
selecting the hand of the pair is the direction of the resultant thrust
which, in this case, must be toward the distributor housing.

If you check a power transmission catalog, such as Browning, they will show
diagrams to explain this.

Crap, you are correct, I just drew some fake gears on two 1 inch dowels
laying here on the bench. And no matter which way I drew them, the shafts
went the same direction. Wow, I'd have bet you a paycheck the outcome
would have been differant!