Chip C

Chris wrote:
I was talking about the sheets and think I figured it out.

Terrible design I think. There is a jam cleat just below the winch on the
side wall of the cokckpit.

It is too far forward for the helmsman to use easily and it pops out
frequently. That should have been a cam cleat (I think thats there name) -
the moveable cleat like on the main sheet that is easily secuted and popped
out.

bummer Catalina

The sheet may be a smaller (or larger?) diameter line than what the
cleat was meant for. They may also have assumed that the sheet would be
cleated on the opposite side of the cockpit from the winch, if they
were expecting the boat to be raced two-handed with the crew on the
high side. Try that and see if it works any better. A boat optimized
for single-handing is likely poorly set up for larger crews, and vice
versa.

Cam cleats are cool but more money and maybe more finicky to cleat in a
hurry.

There are infinite ways to improve any given boat.

Chip C
Toronto