Brian Nystrom

Bonasa wrote:
Thanks Matt,

Well, I ended up having to grind the patch out and start all over. The
layers weren't bonded as well as they should have and by the time I got the
patch level there were holes all over. I've got a better idea how to do this
now, so it should go a lot quicker and a lot better.

There are 2 holes I have to patch, one is about 3 feet long by 5 inches wide
at the widest part, the other one is about 2 feet long and maybe 4 inches
wide at the widest part. This is just a standard production line Ranger 22
built sometime in the 70's.

The only part I'm stuck on is working from the inside, how to I back the
hole so the first and then subsequent layers of glass lie flat and don't go
past the hull and at the same time get all the air out? Any thoughts would
be appreciated and thanks for the ideas.

I took some pictures of the inside repairs I ground out and an exterior shot
to give a better idea of where one of the holes are and put it on the web at
the link below. I'll add more photos to the album as I go along:

http://community.webshots.com/user/bonasa1026

Is there a specific reason that you can't work from the outside as well?
If not, grind a slight bevel there and lay a layer of glass on the
outside (you need to bevel the edges in order to blend the gelcoat,
anyway). No only will it strengthen the patch, but it will serve as a
form for the inner layers if you allow it to cure to at least the green
stage before laying them up. I wouldn't bother with the vertical
supports, as they're really not going to gain you anything. Apply finish
gelcoat to the outside after the epoxy patch has FULLY cured.