Chris

I was talking about the sheets and think I figured it out.

Terrible design I think. There is a jam cleat just below the winch on the
side wall of the cokckpit.

It is too far forward for the helmsman to use easily and it pops out
frequently. That should have been a cam cleat (I think thats there name) -
the moveable cleat like on the main sheet that is easily secuted and popped
out.

bummer Catalina

"Jimmy B." wrote in message
link.net...
Chris wrote:
Just learning to sail and went out all day on a Catalina 22. Really
couldn't find a good place to cleat off the jib line. Help?

- Chris

If you're talking about the sheets (the lines that control the clew of the
jib) then there should be cleats just aft of the winches. If you're
talking about the halyard (the line that rises the jib) then there should
be a cleat on the mast or near the companionway. If the boat you're on
doesn't have the cleats in those places, is should.