Larry W4CSC

Lew Hodgett wrote in
ink.net:

If you have a documented vessel, don't you tell these good ol' boys to
take a flying F**K at a rolling donut?

You do that in Charleston Harbor and you'll find yourself in the Charleston
County Jail. Noone in law enforcement cares a damn about your documented
vessel or your big yacht. If it's cruising inside South Carolina, it's
subject to every little fiefdom in the place. I've been inspected 5 times
in one day by 4 different sets of bureaucracies....even in camo
flackjackets.

As a matter of fact, we have a law that says 1 mile to seaward is the
city's line in all waterways, even the Atlantic Ocean. Jetski riders are
WELL aware of this little poke of the stick. It is used to keep them off
the exclusive beaches of the waterfront mansions. Of course, there's a
little problem with that....There ARE no exclusive beaches in SC. They can
keep you from parking on their roadways with miles of no parking signs, but
the BEACH, on the other hand, is PUBLIC PROPERTY and they can do nothing to
stop you from pulling your boat up on it. The public's property line on
the beach is 100' up the beach from the high water mark, which puts their
house on the public property after a big storm...(c;

A condo owner called his local rent-a-cops on Kiawah Island's gated town to
run us off "his beach" when we pulled two jetboats up on it. The cop made
lots of noises until I asked him to write me up for it so I could sue the
town. He backed off when I handed him my waterproof laminated copy of SC
Code. He had no idea the law even existed. We stayed most of the day.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.