Glenn Ashmore

I think you are seeing our ingrained resentment as US citizens to exceptions
to our rights to privacy. The USCG may inspect your boat but unless you are
transporting something that might be perceived as a threat you have nothing
to worry about. A case of hand grenades would definitely qualify as a
perceived threat.

Since the Bahamas raised their crusing fees we have been routing through the
Old Bahama channel on deliveries. Being so close to the Dubyas dreaded Cuba
we get boarded 1 or 2 times every trip. The Coasties have always been very
professional and have been very careful not to do any damage.

Where it gets kind of outrageous is in some Florida waters where everyone
from the county deputies to game wardens think they have supreme powers.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:11:58 -0400, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

They can't haul your ass over in your car on I-26 without justifiable
cause
or there's big trouble. But, they can haul your ass over and tear apart
your boat any ol' time they get a hankerin' to! Nothing on the water is
"illegal search and seizure" any more...even before 9/11/01.

Hi,
A question.

I am sailing to the east coast of the US early next year after I cross
the Atlantic. I have a valid 10 year visa (we had to apply for one at
the Madrid US embassy even though if we fly in we get an automatic 3
month visa), and don't carry or use dope of any kind.

What concerns me about all of this is not the boarding by the US
Coastguard, but the stories of searches being done and damage caused
by the searchers. I have heard one where the tops of the water tanks
were cut open - and that in international waters. I can understand and
appreciate the need and benefit to stop foreign flagged yachts in
international waters due to the drug trade and don't mind at all being
searched. What I don't want is having to repair damage at my time and
expence.

Question: has anyone had any bad experience of this kind?

FWIW
When we arrived at the Customs wharf in Australia (well before 9/11),
there was a yacht moored to the wharf that had been stripped down
inside in an attempt to find illegal weapons and drugs. The yacht had
been intercepted after a tip that the owner was running guns. He
claims that he is a collector and that the box of hand grenades were
part of his collection. The case went to court. If he wins then
Customs has to make good the damage. If he loses, they don't. Is it
the same with the US Coastguard or any officials if they find that no
offence has been committed?

Another point, as a New Zealand registered yacht we cannot be boarded
by any other officials than Customs or Quarantine ones in Australian
ports (excepting police if we are commiting a crime) as we come under
Customs control. I believe that this is part of international law but
I may stand to be corrected.

Everywhere we have been stopped by coastguards or other officials in
the world so far they have always asked first (politely) if they can
come aboard.