Bob La Londe

Default Coast Guard Authority ???

Does the US Coast Guard have the authority to stop, search or do a "routine"
safety check on a vessel of US registry or US state registration fully
within US waters and obviously not suited for long offshore travel without
cause?

I am not asking because of anything that has happened. I have never been
stopped or checked by the US Coast Guard in freshwater or sal****er. I am
just curious about their legal authority.

The vehicle in question would currently be being operated in a safe and
legal manner following navigation guides, traveling at legal speeds, and
being operated in a courteous manner to other craft. All registration
numbers being current and properly displayed and lights being in full
correct operation or not required if during daylight hours.

The reason I ask is because I have a small craft I was thinking of using to
do some bay fishing. I bought it as a shell and rigged it out as a bass
boat. I wired it, installed the outboard, and otherwise rigged the boat
myself. I am confident that the basic stuff is all done correctly, but I
would hate to get hassled and cited because I used an automotive fuel line
(which I didn't) or something like that.

I am very careful to try and meet the appropriate safety regulations, and I
have only ever had a safety check done on one of my boats once in the past.
An Imperial County Sheriff's Deputy stopped me for violating a speed reg on
the Colorado River. I argued the reg was not properly posted and
un-enforcable. He decided to do a complete safety check and not cite me
for the speed violation. Obviously he felt I had a case, but he wasn't
going to let me go without citing me for something.

I have had my fishing license checked many times while fishing, but I have
never had game officials do this. I have heard the Coast Guard can be anal
rententive about things. I hope to avoid that type of experience. I do
have all required safety gear, and my craft is rigged correctly to the best
of my knowledge. I have read several more recent publications on safe boat
operation, and I took a small craft certification course with the Coast
Guard Auxilary about 25 years ago.

Anyway, I take all appropriate steps with my craft to avoid violations, but
I am curious about the legal authority and circumstances I may run into.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com