sherwindu

Hi Dan,
I'm getting this information from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources,
who regulate boating licenses(608-266-2621). There is supposedly a big fine for
boats stored in Wisconsin with out of state registration. Maybe this is one of those
laws that seldom gets inforced, but I would feel uneasy about being stopped and fined even if the
chances are remote. I would be willing to register my boat in Wisconsin, but not to transfer my title
to them.

Sherwin D.

Dan Krueger wrote:

I lived in IL and kept my boat on a WI lake for several years. The
trailer was stored on-site with my IL plate in plain view. The numbers
on the boat were always ILXXXXX. Where are you getting this
information? What has changed?

Why are you applying for a WI sticker? Your IL registration should be fine.

sherwindu wrote:

I live in Illinois and was thinking of moving my boat to a Wisconsin boat yard/marina.
When applying for a Wisconsin sticker, they wanted me to relinquish my Illinois Title
to the boat and get a Wisconsin title. I reside in Illinois and have had my title with them for
over 30 years. As long as I can prove that I am the owner of the boat, why are they insisting on
retitling the boat in their state? They don't do this for cars.
You can get Wisconsin car plates without retitling your car there. Why are they discriminating to
boat owners?

Sherwin D.