Calif Bill

Default Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc

The bigfoots / high thrust motors are designed for displacement type boats.
I get better performance with an 8 hp Yama T-8 as a kicker than I did with a
15 mariner as kicker on the same boat. The prop would blow out trying to
run the boat faster. Spin and not more go, lots of slip. The high thrust,
spins a bigger diameter, bigger pitch prop slower.
Bill

"Jon" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I wasn't clear in the original
post, the 90 will be the 4 stroke. I did some further reading on the
Bigfoot and realized that it has the same gear case as the 90. Right
now I'm inclined to go with the 90, assuming the extra hp will offset
the added weight. Any comments on the weight being an issue?

Thanks
Jon