rhys

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:19:49 -0300, Terry Spragg
wrote:

There are so many little things that make a cruising sailboat the
pleasure that it can be. Struggling with too large, baggy sails,
excessive heeling and weather helm, all for a tiny twitch in speed
isn't it. FWIW, YMMV.

That's why I love my No. 3 on a pendant about four feet off the deck.
It ends up like a hank-on yankee, but if I get my sheet leads
positioned properly, it catches a bit more air at the top of the stay
than tacked in the usual spot. Visiblity is excellent and tacking is
effortless.

I do like my No. 2, though. Like a lot of people who've bought old
boats with hank-ons, you usually get two No. 1s in fair to poor
condition, a fair No. 3 and a mint No. 2. So in light air I just use
the No. 2 like a No. 1...with my large J and little weight in the boat
I get driven very nearly as fast to windward, and only miss the extra
cloth downwind.

My main is only 10 feet wide at the foot, so it has to be blowing 20
knots before I'll reef and 30 before I'll put in a second reef.

The secret to easy hank-on sailing is using a jib downhaul. I can
douse cleanly in a few seconds from the cockpit, solo, and it's just a
matter of some light line and a small block at the bow.

R.