Terry Spragg

Don W wrote:

Well, having used both, I'd have to say that its pretty nice to be able to
partially furl when the wind picks up, and then furl completely without
having to go up front in the spray. Anyone that has gone forward to drop
a headsail in 8-12's and 28kts wind can relate to what I'm saying ;-)
If you've
got enough wind to drive at hull speed, it probably doesn't matter that the
partially rolled jib isn't a very efficient sail.

However, that being said, I like being able to fly the appropriate
headsail,
and the only way to do that is by hanking the right one on. For
daysails, it
doesn't seem to be much of a burden.

YMMV,

Don W.

wrote:

I know this will start another round of semi-religious rants but I need
the distraction.

snip

A nice small, close sheeting, flat, easily doused self tending jib
is such a pleasure over a baggy, draggy, unpointable, unluffable
gordian knot killer threat. Especially when the jib halyard and
downhaul is led to the cockpit.

No way I would ever go back to a roller furler. I just reef the main
until the helm balances, and go, pointing higher than you would
think. It's like an automatic transmission in city traffic.

I would even prefer twin headstays with two jibs at the ready, if I
got all twisted up about half a knot boat speed on a nearly calm day
or fighting wowser weather or lee helm and a bitchy genoa which
needs replacing every year if you sail "seriously", but I'm not.

An easily driven hull, well balanced rig, superior performance
modern high aspect bilge keels, tight, self tending yankee jib and a
vented bustle make it all O.K.

I figured out that having a thwartships exhaust is quite a sneaky
trick. My engine exhaust goes down to a crosswise exhaust pipe just
below the level waterline, and when heeled, seemingly allows air to
be sucked deep under the bustle to relieve the suction at hull
speed, when the wake is trying to suck the boat back. It gurgles a
bit, and I think it allows the hull to exceed it's theoretical
limitation due to waterline length. But then, I don't have a
knotmeter, so maybe it's all a sailor's pipe dream.

Is there a class racing rule somewhere that penalizes such a dirty
exhaust trick?

There are so many little things that make a cruising sailboat the
pleasure that it can be. Struggling with too large, baggy sails,
excessive heeling and weather helm, all for a tiny twitch in speed
isn't it. FWIW, YMMV.

Terry K