Marty

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
J wrote:

I made the trip to T. H. last Thanksgiving in my Sundancer 220. I
often travel from Ch Is Harbor to Santa Cruz Is. in same. Like the
previous folks said, avoid the chop. This size boat can't cut thru
chop at all. I had a pleasant trip both ways traveling when calm
seas prevailed. Wish I was there today.

Actually, the size of the boat isn't the problem as much as the type.
These
boats typically have semi-V hulls that pound badly in a seaway. It's a
compromise made for speed and fuel efficiency in flat water, which is
where most
of them are used -- joyriding, pulling skiers, etc. The more
work/fishing-oriented boats like Grady-White have "seakeeping" hulls with
deeper
Vs, more freeboard and flare. These offer a smoother, drier ride, at the
expense of top speed and efficiency. Even the under-20' models can handle
some
pretty rough seas relatively comfortably.

Matt O.

I guess the crucial factor is that I'm expecting 2 to 3 foot swells with
early morning glass before the wind starts blowing. Other than that I don't
think I would take this little boat across the channel. When I picture the
family, the camping equipment, and some basic crew-overboard/survival-at-sea
equipment, I picture this little boat sitting pretty deep in the water; and
that starts to worry me; but, again, this worry over the unknown is based on
a lack of experience with small power boats.