Wayne.B

Default Marine Fridge vs. Dorm size fridge & invertor

On 3 Aug 2003 15:06:32 -0700, (Michael Sutton)
wrote:
(Michael Sutton) wrote in message . com...
If I want to put a fridge on my boat I can go buy
a 12v Marine fridge for $500 or so.

Why can't I go buy a $100 dorm size fridge from
Walmart/Home-Depot, etc and use a $50 inverter
to power it?

any advice?

I don't understand why items used on boats have
to cost more just because they are 'marine'.

so only one person who's done this? there's
got to be more!

I have a non-marine Summit "under the counter" fridge on my boat that
is powered from an inverter when we are not running the generator. I
try to avoid using the generator except when underway or cooking, so
the inverter is supplying power from a bank of 4 golf cart batts about
18 to 20 hours a day. This works fine and the battery bank will run
the fridge for about 2 days without recharging if necessary.

My unit is a standard apartment sized fridge, and for some reason that
size costs considerably more than a "dorm" fridge even though it is
not a lot bigger. It was still substantially less than the $1,000
Sub-Zero that it replaced however. Is the Sub-Zero worth the extra 4
or 5 hundred? Time will tell I suppose but the Summit has performed
well over 4 years and done everything we needed.