rhys

On 21 Jun 2005 09:54:33 -0700, wrote:

I know this will start another round of semi-religious rants but I need
the distraction.

You're right. Consider this an ecumenical response. Roller-furling is
a compromise in which the convenience and utility outweighs for many
the slight to obvious performance hit...which is a function of the
sailmaker and the quality of the furler, for the most part, but can
also be a function of an complacent or inexperienced skipper.

When I go short-handed bluewater cruising, I will have beefy RF on
every forestay, because that is sensible and safe. When I sail my 33
footer on Lake Ontario, or when I club-race, I prefer hank-ons. Partly
this is a function of an IOR '70s boat with a huge (15') J, which
allows pretty high pointing, and partly because I use a lot of
old-school tricks, like barber-hauling and down-hauling, to make my
sailing race-style efficient, even when cruising. I like to sail as
long as possible, and in the light air of summer Lake Ontario, that
means getting creative. I have a genoa staysail, a whisker pole and a
monster asymmetrical in addition to a 180% light genoa and a 140%
composite sail I converted BACK to hank-on from tape (hey, it was
barely used by racers and cost me $200!..."old" race sails are
frequently a real bargain for budget cruising!).

That's my style, and it works for the boat I have and the sailing I
do. Securing sails on deck is easy, and changing sails isn't hugely
hard even single-handed, although I will usually just favour a 100%
working jib on a pendant to make my tacking easier when alone.

Were I older than my mid-40s, or cruising in salt water, I would hold
a different opinion. Having said that, however, RF is not bulletproof,
and a malfunction or a bad wrap situation can be critical on a boat
with RF, rather than a "oops, go get the No. 2" on a boat with hank-on
stays. Finally, I can do the minor sort of sail repair hank-on sails
require personally, and I learn more about sails by spending more time
on deck watching them do their thing.

But I don't consider myself evangelical about it G

R.