Matt O'Toole

Marty wrote:

I want to take my SeaRay 185 Sport to Two Harbors at Catalina Island
departing from Marina Del Rey or Long Beach.

I've made the trip countless times in my 32 foot sailboat. I'm very
comfortable with the trip and the conditions that I've encountered.
I would take the sailboat even in heavy weather, but would only take
the SeaRay 185 in fair weather conditions. I would certainly back
off in any summer conditions that felt uncomfortable to me or my
guests.

What I would like to know is have you ever made the crossing in a
small boat and can you tell me that it's a safe passage?

Sure, many of us have. Especially in mid-summer, if you go early in the day
before the wind comes up, you can probably expect smooth water the whole way.
Plus a small powerboat can make the trip in well under 2 hours. Once the wind
comes up, the chop can make the trip very uncomfortable, slow, and possibly
dangerous. You've been out there, so you've seen what it's like.

Matt O.