Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc

Yep, I can understand that. Suzuki used to have a poor reputation for some
of its engines. The 225 (2 stroke) was a horror. The crankshaft's bearings
couldn't take the strain.

FYI the DF90 sells for about $6700. sans factory rebate puts it on your
boat for 6400.

They have since re-engineered. It was make vast improvements or go out of
business. Special "super-alloy" non-galvanic metals for the static parts
like housings and everything else is "heavy-duty rated"

I am not saying you have to run out and buy one, but I can tell you that
we get good, reliable, service from the motors. As I said, we have one DF90
that has in excess of 3000 hours on it. Good service history and has had all
its required maintenance. Never any mechanical or electrical problems. It
been through 4 props, and "stuck-in-the-mud" twice. (Did you know they now
use a stainless steel waterpump?)

Anyway, Just my offering for your research.

Enjoy,

Capt. Frank

"Greg" wrote in message
I guess my bad taste for Suzuki is my neighbor's experience with a

rebadged
Susi Evinrude. He is still in bankruptsy court over that one.
I suppose the bigger ones are better, this was a 40. My other neighbor

loves
his 70 although the paint fell off.
I am also pretty happy with the merc. I am around 600 hours on it and no
problems. I am a bit more careful than the average renter tho ;-)
The Power tilt was standard on the 60 BTW as far as I know. I paid 6625

for it
dropped in my driveway. (spring 2002)