Denis Marier

I just got one posting from this tread so my questions may have already been
answered.
I have hear of this practice being done.
What grade and viscosity of oil are you using? Is the oil filter replaced
every season or after x number of running hours?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:08:22 -0400, Jeff said:

Let me get this straight. You put in that nice clean oil in the fall,

and
then drain that nice clean oil and replace it in the spring? What am I
missing here?

I guess you're missing out on proper maintenance of a diesel engine.

So what's your point? That I'm wasting $4 on two extra quarts of oil
a year? Are you claiming my engines are "too clean"? I'll admit that
this is a "belt and braces" approach, but I'd rather err on the being
more conservative when it comes to oil changes. Diesels push a lot of
carbon into the oil, and this is reduces the efficiency of the oil,
not breakdown. So it seems to me it hard to have an engine that's too
clean.

The point should be obvious with a moment of thought. Just how much carbon
does that diesel create while sitting idle over the winter filled with

clean
oil? Your theory is that filling the engine with clean oil in the fall,
draining that clean oil in the spring and refilling with clean oil is

giving
the engine an oil bath? And that this annual oil bath is essential to

proper
maintenance of a diesel engine? A novel theory. Do you do the same thing
with your car? Change the oil, and then immediately change the oil again

so
as to give the engine a bath?