Gary Warner

Default Trailer Axel / Physics Puzzler

"QLW" wrote:

Gary,
When using tandem axles some method of equalizing the weight must be used

keep one set of axles from being over loaded. The trailer will rarely be
setting perfectly level and without an equalizer the tires will be

unequally
loaded as well. In the case of leaf springs, it's done using a common,
rotating equalizer. In your case, I'm not sure. I'd ask the

manufacturer
of the axles. This catalog shows the normal axle setup and may show

your's
as well.
http://www.championtrailers.com/catalog_pdf.htm

Question: On this axle each wheel has independent suspension. Would this
take care of the situation you mentioned?

Seems to me it might. For example, say the trailer was on totall level
gound
except for one wheel which was on a rock sticking up 3" above level.

Hmmm, maybe not. I just don't know.