QLW

Default Trailer Axel / Physics Puzzler

Gary,
When using tandem axles some method of equalizing the weight must be used to
keep one set of axles from being over loaded. The trailer will rarely be
setting perfectly level and without an equalizer the tires will be unequally
loaded as well. In the case of leaf springs, it's done using a common,
rotating equalizer. In your case, I'm not sure. I'd ask the manufacturer
of the axles. This catalog shows the normal axle setup and may show your's
as well.
http://www.championtrailers.com/catalog_pdf.htm

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote:

Out of curiosity, how does one place the axle? Is it at the centerpoint?
I think you'd want it a bit forward of the centerline. I built a box
trailer some years ago, and was advised to have the axle forward of
center under the box. I knew why at the time, but I've since forgotten.

I'm not an expert (obviously) but our thinking is: We experimented
with the trailer WITH the boat on it to find a point that is just BACK
of the true center of gravity. A single axel placed right AT the center
of gravity would give essentiall no tongue weight. Moving the single
axel back just a little gives some tongue weight.

In our case we are putting tandem axels. So one axel will go forward
of the point we found and the other back of that point by the same
distance.