Gary Warner

Default Update on Homemade Trailer Building

".JIMinMA." :

Why not mount your springs and shackles on pieces of angle iron so that

you
can move the axle back and forth till you find the sweet spot. Many

trailers
are set up that way.
Jim

What we have is a torsion axel (no springs, just a straight steel tube with
all
the suspension on the inside). That axel comes with brackets the is bolts
to.
The bracket is supposed to be welded to the traier. Though, as you
suggested,
the bracket could probably be bolted. ~ It's not a bad idea. It would
also
make the trailer more adaptable to other loads/boats. It really is a good
idea. But we decided to make a custom trailer just for this boat. With all
the work we've put in this boat, I don't think we plan on selling her
anytime
soon (or making any major weight changing modifications to her). So welding
it on in place is OK.

But I do get your point - and thanks for suggesting it.